Monday, January 12, 2009

Being nice

I wasn't too eager to unpack my bags or getting my room in order, but was excited about visiting Stanford. I finally did, this morning.

So Google Maps told me how to get from point A to point B, and I just had to follow the path. I wasn't familiar with the Day pass business, and paid 1-way fare before realizing a Day pass would have suited me better. Well, the bus-driver told me he'd give me credit for the 1-way fare, so I only needed to pay the balance. Damn, and all I had was a quarter and $10 bill. So I asked the VTA bus-driver for change. Bus drivers don't keep change, but they do tend to be nice. He just waved his hand, asked me to insert whatever coins I had, and gave me a day pass. That was nice.

I had a few people to meet at Stanford, and left for home after the sun had set. I was kinda tired, and missed my stop. By the time I realized that none of the street names looked familiar, it was kinda late. So I asked the bus-driver about this intersection I was looking for. Apparently, we passed it 5miles back. I still had my day pass and just needed to flash it on any bus going the other way, but the bus driver wouldn't drop me off in the neighborhood we were passing through. I don't typically feel vulnerable, but this was interesting.. Now I did.

Anyways, we travelled a few more miles and he finally let me off at this really well-lit bus-station. I chuckled as I got off 'Nice lesson learned, need to be more alert on the bus'. He waved and smiled 'Good Night'. There's something about these VTA bus-drivers. They're just nice, genuinely nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment